Thursday 3 January 2013

Fenugreek Seed


Fenugreek seed is really weird.  Grown on the sub-continent, it is known as methi in India and is featured in many south Asian dishes.  While the leaves are also used, this article will focus on the seeds.

They look like toffee but they're disgusting.  I mean that in a good way.  They are hard and bitter.  Apparently, you can roast these to make them less bitter but I confess that I didn't really try that.  They were pretty cheap.  I found them in the "exotic/imported food" section of the grocery store.

You gotta grind them first.  I tried just sprinkling the cursed kernels on my cereal.  Gross.  Don't try it.  Could break a tooth.  Grind them up in a coffee grinder.  Even that takes a while.

Bzzzzz.  Keep grinding.
Mix with protein powder.  I like the cheap whey protein isolate powder that my wife buys me at Walmart.
Sprinkle in the ground fenugreek.  Note that I didn't grind this batch long enough. Fenugreek seed is loaded with fibre and protein.  Holistically, it is thought to boost milk production in lactating women and libido in men.  Good source of iron too.
Pour in some skim milk and shaker-up.  I mixed this combo with skim milk and shook really well.  Legend has it that fenugreek makes your urine smell like maple syrup and its true.  I intend to try fenugreek in other things like greek yogurt.

Tom - trying gross food; so that you don't have to.

Hate Me Now - Thank Me Later

No comments:

Post a Comment