Sunday 10 June 2012

Land Forces Command Physical Fitness Standard

Land Forces Command Physical Fitness Standard or "Battle Fitness Test (BFT)" is now officially done for another year.  Friday morning at dawn, me and 76 others from my unit kicked-off on the two-hour+ trudge through the swamp.  Gatorade in hand.  Energy drink secured in my Tac Vest in case I crashed later.  Fistful of Jolly Ranchers in a grenade pouch.


The trail was really decent this year; not too many hills or pot-holes.  Just enough wind to challenge the mosquitos. 

Training for BFT

I put in less miles this year in training for BFT but I loaded the ruck heavier right from the early sessions.  This left me with a twinge in my knee but seemed to prepare me well for the big day.  This year for the first time ever, I tried speed training.  Along my usual route in my neighbourhood, once I was warmed-up I did intervals where I would run between two hydro poles then walk to the next one, then run again.  This paid-off for those times when a big gap would suddenly appear ahead of me in the BFT (big gaps are deadly!)

Nutrition

The night before the BFT, I put a cup of brown rice in the slow-cooker with lots of water and set the cooking level on low.  In the morning there is a slushy goo that no chef would dare serve to a diner but it was chockful of complex carbs that powered me through BFT.  I'm really pleased with my energy levels throughout the BFT (maybe the Viet Cong were onto something).  I had a protein bar stashed in my Tac Vest in case I felt I needed a snack during the test.  Didn't need it. 




Hydration

Someone once told me that he doesn't drink water during the BFT, but he gulps a lot  of water just before the BFT.  I tried that once.  Worst advice I ever listened to.  Had to stop 3 times during the march to pee.  Brutal - you lose precious time and momentum.  Might work for him; not me.  Start off dry and sip as you go.  Sipped a gatorade throughout the first 6.5 km so I could chuck the empty bottle in the trash at the turnaround point.  I grabbed a cup of water at the halfway point.  Had to pee at the end of the 13km march - not too bad.  A sign of good hydration.

Gear

Other than the stuff I had to carry/wear (helmet, weapon, tac vest, rucksack), I wore an Underarmour heat-gear t-shirt.  The t-shirt is olive drab so it looks like an issue t-shirt but it fits really tight.  This is great because it acts like a second skin and reduces friction on your torso.  I wore the thin black sock/cushy thick sock combo in my boots.  Cinched-up the boots supertight but left the top eyelet open.  This helps the tibialis anterior muscle move properly, improves circulation and reduces "shin splints".  Feet and legs survived the BFT nicely.


Warm-up

This makes or breaks the BFT.  Two words: heel rocking.  This simple warm-up will save you in a forced march every time.  To do this easy warm-up you stand with feet abot 6 inches apart and slowly rock back and forth from your toes to your heels.  This warms-up almost all of the muscles in your lower legs and prepares them for the march.  I also do about a dozen deep squats to wake up the glutes and quads.  A couple of lunges will get the hamstrings warmed-up.  I do some shoulder shrugs to get the traps ready.

Post-BFT

I booked a massage with my favourite massage therapist - Christa Veinotte for after the BFT.  She was all booked for Friday but I went in Saturday afternoon and it was well worth it.  She worked on my traps and calves.  Felt so good.  Highly recommend a good massage after BFT. This will flush metabolic toxins and speed recovery.  Christa said I should have soaked my feet in warm water and epsom salts.  Good idea.  I also drank a lot of water, ate some nice BBQ steak and scarfed some carbs.



Now

Now its time to get back to normal training and turn my attention to summer hockey!  I love walking out of the rink after a game wearing shorts and t-shirt rather than parka and toque.




Tom

Hate Me Now - Thank Me Later

No comments:

Post a Comment