Tuesday 5 June 2012

Training for Battle Fitness Test

Battle Fitness Test or BFT is an annual gut check.  13km of ground pounding followed by a simulated trench dig and casualty drag.  Fail to prepare for this ritual and you could be in for 2-3 hours of hell.



I start training about 6-7 weeks before the BFT.  The main purpose for this is to get my feet ready.  Gone are the glory days of my youth when I could just roll out of bed and do the BFT.  Now, I like to know that I'm ready.  Put on two pairs of socks and lace up your boots good and tight to prevent blisters.


There are a lot of hills in my neighbourhood and this makes for ideal terrain for BFT training.  I like to load up the rucksack and go for a long hike on Sunday afternoons.  This gets the legs and feet ready for the big day. 



I load the rucksack up to about 50 lbs for the training marches.  This is slightly heavier than on test day but that way I know the weight won't be a problem.

Nutrition is a big thing for the BFT.  Get lots of complex carbs into you before BFT.  Oatmeal, rice etc.  Have a sip of water before the test (not too much as you'll lose time if you need to stop to pee).  Carry water and a sports drink to sip along the way.

Tom

Hate Me Now - Thank Me Later

No comments:

Post a Comment