Thursday 9 August 2012

When Do I Train?

Good Question

Recently, in between sets, one of my clients asked me: "When do you train".  At first it seemed like an easy question but as I thought about it I realized that my own training is pretty chaotic.  Since I'm a part-time personal trainer and full-time Army Officer and father and husband I have to be creative to get my workouts in.

Hoisting Plates

I load and unload weight plates for my clients.  This can get pretty labourious if you're talking about a big dude who lifts a lot.  Actually, I'm proud to have a female client who lifts a lot too.  Racking and unracking 45 lb plates for an hour is work.

The Running Clients

I run with my running clients.  Thankfully, they are beginners but a 3-5km run does burn a few calories and justifies buying really nice shoes.  The running trails near my gym are infested with bears and even though I don't tend to take clients running during normal peak bear encounter times, its not easy to relax.

The No-Shows

Sometimes a client inexplicably fails to appear for their workout.  This is a good opportunity for me to blast some iron.  If I am still expecting more clients later, I try not to get sweaty and gross but its possible to get a few sets in.

Lunch-Time Training.

Normally, I loathe training at lunch but the outdoor pool on base is open for lap-swimming at noon and I tried that yesterday.  What a blast - I'm going to do that more often.  A great workout in the sunshine.

Father-Son Training

My oldest boy turned 13 last year and has been itching to get into the weight room.  He completed the Teen Weight Room Orientation Course and has been coming to the gym with me often.  Sometimes I am busy with a client but I see my son jacking iron across the gym and I see that he likes it.  If he still has any energy left after my client leaves, we do some training together.  He's an avid hockey player in a competitive contact division, so he needs all the strength and muscle he can get.

The Basement Gym Workout

Like any fitness-guy, I have a weight set in my basement.  A nice rack, decent olympic barbell set and a bench. I do love working out down there...but.  Its noisy you know.  If you jack iron early in the morning or late at night when the kids are sleeping; you wake people up.  My younger kids love to be with me when I'm working out.  Doing bench presses with the blur of kiddies whizzing-by on roller blades or having a raucous game of basement ball hockey is...different.  My wife suffers the same fate when she pops a Jillian Michaels DVD into the computer and unrolls the mat.  The sight of a 2-year old trying to imitate his Mom, trying imitate Jillian Michaels - hilarious.

On the Road

I travel a little with work or kids' hockey and I love trying out the fitness rooms of hotel gyms.  Some are really decrepit and I love to complain about it when I'm checking out.  Some are not bad for a quick workout.  It gives you a chance to try some new machines (like treadmills with integrated TVs!)

The Saturday Morning Walk

My wife and I walk on the walking trails in downtown Fredericton most weekends.  This is really great and a 4-6km walk doesn't hurt either. 

Bootcamp Training

I run some private bootcamps.  These can be a good workout for the trainer too.  They tend to involve a lot of running and a lot of exercise demos by me. 

That's My Answer

I train whenever I can.  If I can, I just pick a muscle-group that seems fresh and ready-to-go and get in a fast hard workout.

Tom

Hate Me Now - Thank Me Later

No comments:

Post a Comment